Archive for November, 2010

Demo Reel Update

Monday, November 15th, 2010

This is a small update. It's been a very long time coming, and this is just a little piece of what I've completed.

I purchased a license for Mari the moment it became available on Linux, and have been using it extensively ever since. It's extremely nice to not rely on Photoshop or Windows for a single thing. Not that I dislike either, but I prefer to work without VM's, wine or dual-booting.

I've since painted the locomotive engine (seen above). This model is composed of 30 separate OBJ files with 1 to 6 UV patches each. In total, there are over 90 texture maps ranging from 8k to 2k on this single model. This is a small test render, but the detail holds up at very close range. Please understand that this is 100% untouched output from prman (besides minor levels adjustment), and the final result will be composited from many different layers including occlusion, reflection occlusion, etc. You can expect it to look much more realistic and graded/matched to an environment. I don't want to jump ahead of myself, so this is just to see what my textures look like. Since it's mostly metal you can expect it looks quite different in different situations.

This model is also fully rigged and animated using Houdini's CHOP's. All the parts around the wheels (including the wheels) animate as the train moves down the tracks. The render above took roughly 15 mins with 2 bounce radiosity from an environment map. I'm still using proprietary tools and shaders that I've written for this project in Houdini / Prman 15.2.

Hopefully I'll have something more interesting soon. As of right now I've completed the texturing on the locomotive, fuel tender, 7 boxcars, water cistern, train station, x2 train signals, a small building, and x2 grain silos.